Lotte World, Seoul, Korea: Not the Happiest Place on Earth

Lotte World is Korea's Disneyland. And like Disneyland, when the kids are out of school, this place is insanely packed.
 Most of the attractions are indoors, centered around a large ice rink on a bottom floor.


 Some back areas have different theming with more rides.
 On my first visit in the winter, it seemed like the entire population of Seoul was here because it was a vacation day. My return visit was on a rainy day while children were in school, so crowds in the morning were light.




Unfortunately, the rain also meant that every outdoor attraction was closed. And in preparation for another upcoming holiday rush, several indoor rides were closed as maintenance was being completed.
I did get on the looping coaster, which was fun but a bit rough.

Rain and a Disney-esque castle.
There is a little bit to see inside.
There's an indoor coaster outside, called Comet Express.
It, too, was fun, but nothing really exciting.


There's a second castle on the island which tells the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
You can hear a lot of the story in Korean by pushing buttons at the different displays.






Look! A fork museum! But I don't have enough tine! (Do you get what I did there?) You'll see the Folk Museum in another post.






The ice skating rink is an extra charge.
Why don't I have a lot to say? Well, like every other amusement park in Korea, I've had a lot of disappointment due to different circumstances. My first visit was a complete bust due to the insane crowds. The second time I went, I could take all the pictures you see here, but Pharaoh's Fury, Giant Loop, and all of the outdoor rides (you know, the thrilling rides at the park) were closed. I knew about Giant Loop but the (light) rain really messed up the outside plans. I attempted to return when the weather cleared up but that was the first day of a major Korean holiday. The park was again unbelievably busy.

And I have a second gripe for the park. They have these really fancy ticket-purchasing machines near the gate, but they have never worked when I've visited. I do want to go again, but I am really really hoping everything will be in order and lines will be relatively short.
Park hours vary based on expected demand, but it generally opens around 8:30 or 9:00, and closes late, around 22:00 or even later. Admission is 31,000 won, and a "daily passport" that includes rides is 46,000 won. There are discounts after 16:00. Take Subway Line 2 or Line 8 to Jamsil Station and follow the signs from Exit 4. The park is inside/adjacent to a large mall, which you walk through to get to the park entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment