But we're speaking Japanese!

(Subscribers: Is this post in your feed twice? Sorry! I had a scheduling error.)

This video hit YouTube in May, and it's pretty funny.
While I'm hardly anything like the "foreigners" in this video - who are all native Japanese - this type of situation is something I've seen a few times when out with my Japanese friends.

They tend to communicate through the Japanese person and assume I don't know anything. Well, I don't know much at all, but my Japanese ability has really grown a lot lately.

I've walked into stores, restaurants, and sightseeing spots, and if I'm alone the workers frequently get nervous about having to use their English. The funny thing is, for every one that gets nervous or tries really hard to speak English (which I'm grateful for, don't get me wrong) there are two more who speak fluent Japanese to me at native speed.

Anyway, that's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment