Baseball in Taiwan: A CPBL Game in Taichung

 My first look at the CPBL involved a game in Tainan, and I had a really good time. I was welcomed to the park, the (free) food was great, and the atmosphere was as exciting as it could be for a game with such a low attendance. Everyone was involved, and cheering was a big part of the fan experience.
 Taichung's stadium is a little more open and newer, and similar to most US minor league stadiums. Plenty of seating is available on one level between the foul poles, but the only overhang was behind home plate. The bullpens are found down the lines, and it's possible to walk anywhere in the seating bowl.
 The views down the lines show that the action is pretty close to the field. I ended up camping down the right field line and enjoying the game separated from the rest of the crowd this time.
 Again, the outfield had seating as well, but again I didn't venture into that territory.
 I should mention that Taichung has two baseball stadiums; they play at the older one. If you see the stadium above, located far away from everything else, you're at the wrong place.
 Anyway, I arrived at the correct stadium and saw the team buses.
 It seems that the teams travel in style; given the number of different stadiums each team calls "home" over the course of a season, they probably put a lot of miles on the road and having some comfort is important.
 Similar to the Tainan game, each team had a separate fan table outside the stadium selling stuff. The souvenir selection seemed to be a little better with these two teams, including official game balls (though they were very expensive). If I can return to Taiwan, I want to see a game in Taipei and hopefully find a better selection of souvenirs. I don't need much, though I'd probably have to shell out big bucks for a uniform and/or hat, and a game ball.
Food here was decent though selection was limited. Sausages (on a stick!) are an important part of the Taiwanese diet, and I think I had three of them. They were grilled to perfection and quite delicious.

Sitting away from the fans, I noticed that the cheering sections didn't seem to be as energetic, though they were just as involved. Perhaps it was the lack of instruments and a microphone. Or maybe they just do things differently in Taichung - it is a smaller town after all. I had a great time, and tried to talk a little bit with the locals, but English is a rarity in these parts. It always seems when something goes well, though, they want to involve me in the celebrations with high fives or cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment