31 Days of Halloween: A Sucker for Sweets

Today's post is a little fruity. And by that I refer to the flavors in today's candies!
To be honest, I didn't even think about what might be inside this package when I bought it because I was just grabbing something from each box. The character you see is from the insanely popular (with pre-school children) Anpanman. It's "Anpanman Peropero Candy"!
Peropero means licking, so yep, it's a sucker. Or lollipop. Whatever you want to call it. Look closely and you can see it's in the shape of Anpanman's head. The character on the wrapper is Dokinchan, a germ and antagonist in the cartoon. And as labeled on the package this candy is peach flavored. The peach really stands out and this is a nice little treat!
The second candy today comes in a small box. These are "choco balls" and I see them in stores all the time. Those birds on the box are always there, and must be the candy's mascots. There are different flavors, with this one being "Mix Juice".
The lid opens up so you can save some of the balls for later. They have a yellowish tint and the smell of tropical fruit was strong as soon as I opened the box! The outside is supposed to be fruit-flavored chocolate, although I didn't taste any chocolate, only fruit. Inside the chocolate coating is a biscuit ball. Essentially, it's a smaller-sized Whoppers candy, with fruit flavor instead of chocolate. I'll have to find more chocolate-only versions to compare to what I remember about Whoppers.

The flavor is exactly as advertised - it tasted like I was eating tropical juice. You can see the mix should include banana, peache, pineapple, orange, and mango,  These are pretty good, but I prefer my tropical fruit as an actual juice.

2 comments:

  1. Tropical fruit Whoppers? Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit flavored chocolate is interesting, and good, but it's not great. I think I'm discovering that I prefer just regular old chocolate (with peanut butter or other things added in, of course!) instead of these fruity novelties.

    ReplyDelete