Hungry Yet? Walking Through A Traditional Market in Seoul

Traditional markets are a big part of Asian culture. In Japan, they're not as popular, though Ameyoko is still going strong, certainly catering to tourists but also selling fresh foods including fish. And of course, the Tsukiji Fish Market is a very active part of the restaurant business. Tokyo especially has seen the small shops move into purpose-built actual structures (with offices, more shops, or housing on top), and many of the same shops gathering in one neighborhood.

But in Taiwan and Korea, I saw plenty of markets selling, well, everything. One evening on my first trip to Korea, I found myself wandering around a market area that led to another market which had tons of food and kitchen products.
 I understand that at many of these markets, you can buy your fresh meat, fish, and vegetables here, have the sellers cut it as you wish, and then take your purchases to nearby restaurants to cook your own food! Or you can bring Mr. Clingy home with you.
 This particular market, the name of which eludes me, is quite long with hundreds of stalls.
You can find all sorts of vegetables here.
 Of course, fish is readily available.
 I don't know what most of the stuff at some stalls was.
 I know tomatoes! And the other fruits here!
 A few shops had kitchen goods and tableware. I found a pretty cheap pan here that I brought back and am still using!
 Nuts, seeds, berries, dried fruits...
 Prepared goods, like wafers/cookies.
Kim-chi and other kinds of massively spicy foods are readily available too!

I wish I knew which market I went to, partly because I'd like to go back again sometime. But there are plenty of traditional markets in Seoul and around Korea. And I hear the spicy food is really spicy when you go local.

No comments:

Post a Comment